The Buses, Bikes, & Brooms Challenge ends October 31st!
To sign up or to learn more about the Challenge, please contact email@example.com!
Log trips October 1-31 on the Trip Logger!
Join other businesses and employers from across the state in celebrating fall by participating in the Buses, Bikes, & Brooms Challenge! Telecommute (work from home), bike, walk, skateboard, carpool, use transit, or any combination of these modes from October 1 – 31, 2020!
Are you already working remotely due to the COVID pandemic? This challenge is a great opportunity to build camaraderie and have fun with your coworkers that you now don’t get to see everyday.
During the month of October, log any trip you make to work in a manner other than driving in a vehicle alone. The challenge permits various modes including walking, biking, transit, carpool, telecommuting (working at home), or any combination of these options. All trips will be logged online on our free trip logger platform, which is new (and easier to use) for this Challenge!
Form a team with your workplace and compete with other teams around the state. You’ll be able to track your progress against other teams and other people on your team on the real-time leaderboard. Depending on the size of your employer, your team may be your department, unit, division, branch or the entire company. In fact, many find it fun to create friendly competition between other departments or branches of a company. You can also compete as an individual if you don’t have a workplace that is able to participate as a team.
How to Join
This year’s challenge will include the use of a new and easier to use online trip logger! The new trip logger system was adopted from CommuteSMART Seacoast who has been using this trip logger for the past few years.
To create a new employer team, you will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If your team has already been created and you need to join the team, you will need to login or register at https://trips.commutesmartnh.org/login. Once registered, you will be able to log your trips beginning October 1st.
If you are an individual without a workplace team, you can still patriciate! Please join the team called “Free Agents”, where you compete with other individuals from across the state!
Challenge Awards and Incentives
Awards will be given out to businesses, organizations, and individuals for the following categories:
- Most Sustainable Trips (4 awards total): Awarded to the employer/team/individual with the highest number of sustainable trips (based on a per capita ratio) in each employer size category. If two or more teams are tied, the winning team will be chosen based on the highest average number of sustainable trips per person.
- Individual (1 person/employee)
- Small (2-19 employees)
- Medium (20-99 employees)
- Large (100+ employees)
- Most Social Media Buzz (1 award total): Awarded to one employer/team/individual with the most total points based on the following point system. Be sure to include #BusesBikesandBrooms and your employer/team name so we can find your post!
- Three points for each original post, one point for retweet or Facebook “like”; and one point for Twitter “favorite” or Facebook “comment”.
- One point for each social media platform used.
- One point for each unique author.
- Five points for each video.
Individual incentives will be distributed throughout the challenge period as raffle prizes. To be eligible, all you have to do is log a trip during the challenge! On a weekly basis, we will be choosing participants who have logged trips at random to pick a prize from a pre-determined selection. Additional incentives may be distributed to a team through the team captain.
Team Captain Toolkit
- Challenge Guidebook
- Sign-up Posters:
- Poster #1– General information about the challenge for those who may not have heard of Commute Smart NH, or its challenges before
- Poster #2 – For business to post notifying employees that they are participating
- Poster #3 – To use in the middle of the challenge to remind participants to log their trips
- Sample Email Blasts (Word Doc)
- Challenge Logo
- CommuteSmart NH Logo
2019 Challenge & Participating Teams
The 2019 Buses, Bikes, & Brooms Challenge was held from October 20 – November 2, 2019. In just two weeks we were able to log 563 trips segments totaling 3,561 miles, and saved 5,344 pounds of pollutants and $3,995! Thanks you to all the employers, organizations, and individuals that participated! Participating teams were:
Absolute Resource Associates
Central NH Regional Planning Commission
City of Concord
Goodale’s Bike Shop – Nashua
Hanover Co-op Food Stores
Monadnock Food Co-op
Nashua Regional Planning Commission
NH Department of Environmental Services
NH Department of Transportation
NH Public Utilities
Oyster River Cycle Sport
Queen City Bike Collective
Rockingham Planning Commission
Shaker Road School
Southern NH Planning Commission
Strafford Regional Planning Commission